Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflections on Language Arts Content

This semester seemed to fly by.  We did so much but it went fast.

I enjoyed learning about and participating in writers workshops.  I find it difficult to concentrate on writing in class but I think getting some ideas down on paper is useful and can be used as a stepping stone for out of class writing.   I am sure I will have students with the same challenge.  I would be inclined to allow them to have music in headphones to help focus. 

I loved using the new technology tools like Bookemon.  I think kids would have an amazing time making their own books and having them printed.  I also appreciated seeing that writing does not have to be long and involved.  Quick writing projects can give teachers a look at where students are in their writing skills.  I love the idea of creative ways to get kids engaged in writing.  Every kid has something that they are passionate about and as teachers we need to tap into those things to get them to open up in writing or in speaking.  Even reluctant writers will be more enthusiastic with the types of projects that we were able to work on this semester.  Not every child will like every project but if we keep things creative we can reach them all at some point during the year. 

When I was in my practicum placement language arts instruction was broken down into Reading class and English class.   Although the English teacher was very dynamic and used fun activities I found that class to be much less interesting than the reading class.  The material just seemed more fun in the reading class.  The more I think about my language arts abilities I think my strength is not in the mechanics but in the creative aspects of reading and writing.  It was interesting to see the two separated like that. 

Overall I loved Language Arts before this semester started and I still do.  I am glad that we now have such creative toosl to use with our future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment