I think that the core curriculum standards are very precise and clear in what they want students to accomplish in each area of language arts. I think as compared to the Tennessee state standards the core curriculum standards are much less general. I have always thought that the standards were very vague. When Eli went into Kindergarten I remember looking at the first grade standards to see what was in store and to see how he was doing. At that time I felt like the standards for each grade were so similar that it was hard to know exactly what was expected at each grade level. It looked like there was a huge amount of room for interpretation. Probably not by the teacher but by the district. I think the core curriculum standards address this problem. I also like the fact that the standards are the same for every state that adopts them. Children that move from state to state will have a better chance of having some continuity to their education.
The other thing that I noticed was that media was not mentioned as one of the standards. It is mentioned in the introduction but not as a separate standard. I actually think that is a good thing because I don't think educators need to think of media and technology as a separate thing to teach but as a tool to use just like a book or paper and pencil. Technology needs to be integrated into every aspect of the curriculum and it needs to be automatic not as a separate standard.
I am glad that Tennessee has adopted the Core Curriculum Standards.
No comments:
Post a Comment